Saturday, May 21, 2011

Parker House Specialties 5.11.11

For our last day of class this block, we were able to work on whatever products we wanted.  I had plans to go to dinner at Parker's restaurant at the Omni Parker House Hotel that night, so I decided to try out recipes for Parker House rolls and Boston Creme Pie.

I started with the cake for the Boston Creme Pie.  I used a yellow cake with butter and sugar, instead of a sponge cake.  The cake was denser than a sponge cake, but quite moist.  I added lemon zest to the cake as well, since I'm in love with lemon flavor lately.  The cake turned out very similar to the cake for the black and white cookies from Baking Illustrated.  I used the chef's pastry cream in the fridge, and used a chocolate ganache (with corn syrup) for the glaze.    I assembled the cake at home.  The cake browned a lot on the sides, and I notice that in stores the sides of the cake are not browned at all and are very yellow (like the inside of the cake).  They are often held together with a ring of acetate.


For the Parker House rolls, I used a recipe for soft rolls.  The rolls turned out very yummy.  I only wish they opened up better.

No comments:

Post a Comment